Sunday, August 3, 2008

Reminiscence - Short Novel

I was watching "Eternal Sunshine of A Spotless Mind" acted by Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet on TV3 on saturday night and the idea of erasing a person from memory intrigued me.
As far as I know, nothing as such has been invented, but here's a random emo novel based on the movie.

Plus, i write good stuff when I'm feeling sad.. So here goes..

Reminiscence
Romeo sat on the old rocking chair under the fan.
And Juliet had left a long time ago in spring.

Romeo stared into the nothingness of the night.
Times of old, flooded his mind, replaying memories of long gone.

As much as he's sitting there unmoved, his mind travelled to places in the past.
Living every history just like it's in the moment.
"I remember," he whispered.
His mind continue to flow.. Like a letter his thoughts materialise...

***
I still remember...
When we danced in the moonlight to Enrique's Hero.
When you rested your head on my chest and I kissed your forehead.
And you laid by my side as I whispered your name and played with your hair..
Remember I held your hand for the first time at the Fair?
Also when we talked late into the night, laughing and having a great time...
How could I forget the pair of reds earrings for your birthday?
And the square earrings randomly one weekend...
I recall the times we enjoyed shrimp cocktail and ox-tail soup at night.
Especially the nights when I made dinner - just for you.
I remember you said you had to always give to feel loved by your parents.
Yet I loved you for who you are, not what you did.
I remember Juliet, when you said mean words to Jonathan in the car.
As well as our random Starbucks gatecrash. I remember your fav is Java Chip Frappucino.
Remember the e-cards we sent to each other? And our long online chats when we're apart?
And how I've always gotten you chicken rice every time? and you'll never bore coz it's your favourite...
I enjoyed the perfume sampling each time we go out..
And the feasts we had at Manhattan Fish Market.
When we argued, remember you played Damien Rice's Cannonball, and I played Blunt's Goodbye My Lover? Haha.. Those were the days...
Remember Keira, Keanu, Kirsten & Kael? Those were the names we'd give our children.
I cann still see in my mind, the Fereros I'll always surprise you with..
I recall your warmth as we sat in the couple seat in the theater.
and your constant craving for Baskin Robbins or New Zealand Ice Cream.
I still taste the chicken salad from Carl's Jr that we shared.
The smell of your hair still lingers in my mind.
Juliet, I still remember.
***
If ever the letter in my mind would reach you, how would you react?
Would you laugh? or would you cry? Would you remember or would you forget?
"I still remember, but I want to forget.." Romeo whispered to the hot summer night's air..
Maybe in time, maybe with age.
Maybe a knock to the head. Amnesia or brain damage sounds good...
But tonight, I remember...
I can't forget...

No comments: